As 2016 came to a close, we are reflecting on an amazing year that marked 20 years in business for vcfo. We celebrated this milestone by engaging our employees, alumni, clients and partners in a year of volunteerism efforts to give back in many ways.
We were humbled by the outpouring generosity from our networks in Austin, Dallas, Denver, Houston and Seattle. Here’s a look at a few of the initiatives we supported this year by donating time, talent and gifts:
- Pay It Forward: To kick off vcfo’s Year of Giving and to encourage giving in our communities, we gave each of our employees $100 to “pay it forward” in whatever manner they wished. We heard many wonderful stories about our employees using the money, such as donating to a scholarship fund, purchasing bicycles for children at a low income school, sponsoring a friend running in a charity 5K, providing direct support to people at food pantries and other service organizations and even purchasing of groceries for a local fire station. Other stories have come full circle, in that people of the community have come forward to help our employees, their friends or family by adding their contributions to the effort.
- Book Drive: To encourage literacy, the true bedrock of educational success, vcfo collected and donated hundreds of books to benefit organizations like Bookspring, Garrett Elementary, Half Pint Library and Operation Paperback.
- Food Drive: There is generally a focus on food during the holiday season so we organized our own drive during the summer. The items collected for the Central Texas Food Bank weighed 593 pounds, which is enough food to make 494 nutritious meals for hungry Texans! This 35-year-old organization provides millions of meals every year to the community, and we were pleased to contribute to that worthwhile effort.
- Dress for Success: We collected over 600 professional clothing items and accessories for this international organization that “empowers women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and the development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.” These items are distributed to women primarily who are seeking to reenter the job market to give them a hand up in making a great first impression at interviews and beyond.
- Season of Giving: To conclude our official Year of Giving, the last volunteer campaign of the year focused on collecting items to create hygiene kits to be distributed by Lifeworks to at-risk youth. This was a group effort across three of our offices. Lifeworks does an amazing job connecting with at-risk youth and giving them a safe place and a wide variety of resources to change their trajectory for the better. In addition, our other offices made donations to local organizations selected by their employees, such as animal rescue groups and Wounded Warriors.
vcfo would not be where we are today as a business without all of the incredible clients, partners, alumni and employees who make up the vcfo community. Thank you all for working to make our communities and the world a better place.
The past 20 years have been fantastic. We can’t wait to see what the future brings.
Categories: Human Resources